Diabetic socks – what is the link to diabetes itself? Diabetes itself is, generally a lifelong condition, that causes blood sugars to become too high. When a person is diagnosed with diabetes there can be further diabetic-related complications with bodily functions – such as peripheral neuropathy, cardiovascular disease and infections. These infections and subsequent issues, can, of course, affect the foot and leg regions.
Diabetic socks can help to reduce the risk of infections or foot and leg blisters for some people. They can also help to keep the feet warm in winter and cool in summer, helping feet to keep dry and aired to further minimise the risk of infection. The Well Heeled™ ‘ShapedUp® design diabetic sock could help to achieve all of this and more.
Unfortunately, there are no official guidelines on when the term ‘diabetic’ may be used in conjunction with a sock design. That’s why Well Heeled Ltd has been working in conjunction with the Royal College of Podiatry, registered podiatrists and real product users, those that actually understand, work with and live with diabetes, and ShapedUp® design diabetic sock has been developed with the end-user, the customer, in mind first and foremost.
- The welt (or cuff) is non-tight to ensure there is plenty of stretch around the top of the sock. This ensures optimal comfort and slight grip to prevent the sock from falling but not being constrictive and so not stopping blood flow to and from the leg and foot.
- The comfort ribbing on the top half of the sock helps to further stabilise the gentle hold on the leg area but in a way where they leg can still stretch and breath. The horizontal nature of this ribbing runs in parallel with the leg shape )up and down) rather than gripping around the leg like other socks.
- The cushioned sole also aids comfort and aids the bottom of the foot without being intrusive nor causing rubbing and could help prevent further injury to the foot area.
- The hand linked toe seams help to reduce the friction that other socks can cause when seams are more prominent. The design can also help prevent the toes from being squeezed together and building up moisture.
- Quality, comfortable and sustainable yarns. The high cotton content has been added to with Lycra® (elastane) to aid flexibility but also to ensure comfort and softness as well as breathability. The ShapedUp® design diabetic sock also uses CoolMax® Ecomade technology that gives excellent cooling properties to the sock but also is made with 100% recycled resources to help the environment – helping Well Heeled to further sustainability as a small UK business but also to ensure we meet expectations of the users/customers. This material also has excellent moisture wicking performance that helps to remove excess moisture away from the skin – something that is very important to help reduce the risk of infection.